When Jesus was talking about the kingdom, he shared with his disciples, he took them to his home community Nazareth.
While visiting the synagogue, He read from the scroll that morning:
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.” Luke 4:18-19
When he was done, he handed the scroll back and said, “This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.”
In that moment, Jesus was proclaiming, “The kingdom of God has come!”
Show Notes For This Foundational Podcast:
Jesus was saying to His disciples that the kingdom of God was here, and they would know this by miracles and signs and wonders.
What is the Culture of the Kingdom of Heaven?
- They carried kingdom authority
- When they bless a house, the blessing remains when they leave
- When you withhold your peace, it will not remain
- You can speak judgement on a city.
- Luke 10:1-12 – Jesus ordains 70 more apostles
- They were not limited to Jewish cities
- Jesus went to Gentile cities
- These 70 men would go ahead of Jesus and prepare these Gentile cities for Jesus’ arrival
- Part of the kingdom culture is miracles and signs and wonders
- John 14:12 – “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.”
- God gives us the power and authority in His name.
But wasn’t this just for the apostles?
“Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” Mark 16:15-18
- This was to His church
- Not just to the 12
- Not just to the 82
- This was to His church
For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him, God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will?
Then he said: Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away. Hebrews 2:1
The church is to carry a power and authority that distinguishes it from all other generations of God’s people.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please consider leaving us a review. This helps the Foundational podcast reach more listeners.
Be sure to tell a friend about the Foundational blog and podcast, and share with them about the free Bible Reading Challenge journal they will receive when they subscribe to receive my newsletter!
Grow in your relationship with Christ with these discipleship manuals:
For more blog posts like this: